St Benet's Mill was a level drainage mill and stood on Horning marshes on the opposite side of the River Thurne to the white Thurne drainage mill. The mill was originallly built around 1775 with common sails.
During the latter half of the 1800s an American style steel framed mill was erected within the tower space. This structure was blown down in the 1890s and the date is recorded on the inside of the mill door.
Daniel England, the Ludham millwright was commissioned to reinstate St Benets mill to the traditional style c.1898 and he installed double sided sails on a cast iron windshaft. Further restoration work was made in the 1990's.
Photography by Rick Bowden.